Sign in to follow this  
Stebe

vtec not engaging?

Hey guys, just bought a DC2R and i was driving, didnt seem like vtec was engaging.

im hoping it was coz the engine was still cold.

are there ways to check if vtec is engaging or not?

:S I wouldnt been taking my car over 5k rpm cold....There is a slight crossover noise difference when vtec does engage, but you dont really feel much. From what I can tell your a noob when it comes to cars, so its probly nothing, you might just have been expecting to much, because people do tend to talk up vtec abit much, like it feels like a turbo etc. But still get it looked at, if it will put your mind to rest.

Tips

-Get it looked at at a Honda dealer.

-Let the car warm up before you drive it, for christ sakes.

-Make sure you got a Type R :lol:

Sorry if Im coming off as abit of an asshole. :)

when i went in a mates car with vtec, i couldnt even notice it...

i thin you just dont notice it. i thought that not one VTEC system has failed since honda have started making them, hence why they're so talked up, but hey there could be a first for all

when i went in a mates car with vtec, i couldnt even notice it...

yeah its there its just hard to notice

if you listen you can hear the engine tone will change but the car won't go much faster

yeah, you can hear it, its a distinct sound..

Hey guys, just bought a DC2R and i was driving, didnt seem like vtec was engaging.

im hoping it was coz the engine was still cold.

are there ways to check if vtec is engaging or not?

Wait what?

Jesus H Christ, have some mechanical sympathy.

Better yet. Sell it and buy a Toyota or a Nissan... some junk that no one will miss when you blow it up.

To answer you question, it would be because it's still cold.

:S I wouldnt been taking my car over 5k rpm cold....There is a slight crossover noise difference when vtec does engage, but you dont really feel much. From what I can tell your a noob when it comes to cars, so its probly nothing, you might just have been expecting to much, because people do tend to talk up vtec abit much, like it feels like a turbo etc. But still get it looked at, if it will put your mind to rest.

Tips

-Get it looked at at a Honda dealer.

-Let the car warm up before you drive it, for christ sakes.

-Make sure you got a Type R :lol:

Sorry if Im coming off as abit of an asshole. :)

correction, honda newb..hehe

previous cars where, twinky corolla, sx seca, NA6 mx5 ( with koni yellows ), and a AUDM corolla with 20valve conversion, which i did my self. But yeh i guess was i expecting abit much on the vtec, gonna put change fresh oil and checking the vtec solenoid.

btw. car has done 190 000kms lol!

... it will make a good difference in power but not like a turbo its much better heard with an induction kit of some kind fitted.

Answer to your question if the motor is cold no it wont rev into Vtec might rev to where it would normally shift at but no further.

also if your oil... heaven forbid is a little low it will stop it from shifting and or old crapy oil.

i would say your solenoid is perfectly fine, try reving it after the motor is warm.....and put some good low weight oil into it i use at minimum 5-40

low oil, cold engine-i reckon these two are the main things. each time my vtec dont engage, i know its time for oil top up lol

also invest in a pod filter if u havnt already (not for performance, cause pods are useless) pod makes vtec more noticeable -noise wise

low oil, cold engine-i reckon these two are the main things. each time my vtec dont engage, i know its time for oil top up lol

also invest in a pod filter if u havnt already (not for performance, cause pods are useless) pod makes vtec more noticeable -noise wise

you should check your oil more often then just wait for it to not engage..... :P open box panel filter is good to, pod filter will make a bit more power on a honda motor as the standard induction system is so restrictive trying to make it quite.

lol yeah i know ay! but all good i change my oil like every mouth or two keke.

well thats ok then... :P mine is 5,000kms filter and oil or 2-3 months what eva comes first... but last time it was 600km caz i was board and i am doing it this weend as well... 1200kms but meh need something to do on a sunday! :rolleyes:

just out of curiousity (lookingforboost) did you used to live in minto? or did you bought the car off someone there?

just out of curiousity (lookingforboost) did you used to live in minto? or did you bought the car off someone there?

no the previous owner did though across from train station there... i bought the car and have been chnging it slowly to suit me.. :P

have a look at the rpm range

another way, boot down a street without filter then you can tell, if u still get same noise, pretty much vtec module could be focked

did you say the magic works "vtec just kicked in yo"?

wow id sell my s2k in a second if it didnt have vtec.. would be worthless.

This thread title makes me facepalm.