Sign in to follow this  
Bazelinez

What is the law regarding unwanted pregnancy

I take it you're raising kids that aren't your own?

There's only one reason you would get offended by that, and that would be if you knew you were that type of man.

Being a genuine father figure is much harder than "being the boss". If you are a genuine father figure, bravo, job well done, but if you are just another useless no hoper taking advantage of a single mum while not giving a crap about her kids, I really couldn't care if you were offended by it.

uve got a point, in the interest of the child, we will help pay for it for the first 18 years so they can live comfortably, then for the following 18years u can pay it all back to us. if you choose to take on the responsibility of a child, you should expect the responsibility that comes with it, by yourself, not at anyone elses expense. we shouldnt have to pay for a life decision they make.

Abortion is not an easy decision to make. If the girl is sure that she doesn't want a child, then it's a quick decision to make. However, if the girl thinks of the life in her body that she is killing, the burden of guilt will wear away at her.

Until you know enough about a girl's state of mind and her views on unwanted pregnancy, it's probably best to take as much precautions as YOU can to prevent pregnancy happening in the first place. No glove. No love.

There are women who will purposely get pregnant. They're married and already have kids. They want more kids, but their partner don't. So some women actually lie about contraception so that they can "accidently" fall pregnant.

TV shows that glamourise motherhood don't help either. Babies are hard work. It's been almost 5 years since I've had my first child and I'm only beginning to be able to sleep through the night. <_>

I take it you're raising kids that aren't your own?

There's only one reason you would get offended by that, and that would be if you knew you were that type of man.

Being a genuine father figure is much harder than "being the boss". If you are a genuine father figure, bravo, job well done, but if you are just another useless no hoper taking advantage of a single mum while not giving a crap about her kids, I really couldn't care if you were offended by it.

nope... i'm raising my own with my wife... ;)

Haha, then you'd have no reason to take offense anyway :P

My missus also "reckons" she wants 5-6 kids (I say reckons, because I think she'll change her mind after having one haha), but I've told her I'll get the snip after 3, no way I'll do more than that.

Two is good. Three is a handful !

Part of me wants a third child... but another part knows it's a lot of work that I have to do. My partner is very scared about handling newborns and is useless in the first year of their lives.

Part of me wants a third child

Which part is that?

:quagmire:

I think it's my mind that wants it.

Pregnancy was never a fun place for me. Feeling nauseous 24/7 for 5 months and then the back pain and swollen ankles for the rest of the pregnancy. Not to mention the baby kicking at the bladder doesn't help. And child labour... oh... lord... 16 hours for the first and 6 hours for the second baby... experiencing the most intense pain in your life. Hell no.

If i ever impregnated someone accidentally, i would never ask her to get an abortion or anything. It would be my child.

IF she manipulated me and tricked me into getting pregnant, i would do everything in my power to gain sole custody.

Until you know enough about a girl's state of mind and her views on unwanted pregnancy, it's probably best to take as much precautions as YOU can to prevent pregnancy happening in the first place. No glove. No love.

It's one of those things mate, generally speaking women (or most) are more emotional than men, who are generally (or most) more logical.

A lot of women see it as killing a life, and I can understand that, it is a part of your maternal instinct, but study the basic biology of gestation and it's really not. You're talking about a group of cells, nothing is formed, which is why its illegal, and more dangerous to terminate after the 1st trimester. While it may sound callous, and not very nice, it might be akin to having a very very small cancer removed. That's the reality of the science, that is logic.

What should be considered before anything is whether one (or two) are going to be able to provide a life a child deserves, and if they're not sure about that, then that should be the answer right there. How we 'feel' should not be a part of the answer, as quite often our feelings lead us all astray..

It's one of those things mate, generally speaking women (or most) are more emotional than men, who are generally (or most) more logical.

A lot of women see it as killing a life, and I can understand that, it is a part of your maternal instinct, but study the basic biology of gestation and it's really not. You're talking about a group of cells, nothing is formed, which is why its illegal, and more dangerous to terminate after the 1st trimester. While it may sound callous, and not very nice, it might be akin to having a very very small cancer removed. That's the reality of the science, that is logic.

What should be considered before anything is whether one (or two) are going to be able to provide a life a child deserves, and if they're not sure about that, then that should be the answer right there. How we 'feel' should not be a part of the answer, as quite often our feelings lead us all astray..

I'm playing the devils advocate here, but couldn't you call a person in any stage of their life just a "group of cells"

lol yes i suppose you could, however we have lots of different cells... cellular stage pregnancy ya talking about a group of single cells, still dividing an deciding what to be, in other words, it isn't really anything quite yet.

edit: deciding was the wrong word to use... but you get the idea.

I think everyone should be required to post their age in this thread.

21 in july, been in a relationship over 3yrs, engaged, have had the "what if" talk.

I'm not sure if we should get into the debate about when a life is formed... :S

sorry Han.. you're quite right. Life is life the minute cells divide and grow..that is true. But in context... what defines a life? What differentiates it from an inanimate object? ... I would think in a word 'thought', or expression, the ability to communicate, however basic.. even in animals and insects, you might say instinct, and what differentiates us from them, is premeditation. Your group of cells has none of this.. so yes, under the microscope, it is "life" in its most basic form.. a group of cells.. but it is no different from a group of bacteria... they're just cells that haven't evolved as yet into anything.

I think this is where alot of girls have trouble with it.. they prefer not to think of these things so clinically, because it means being emotionally detached and they like some mysticism, and would rather call it fate that they got pregnant, regardless of the consequences.

I'm 31, been living with my partner a bit over 4 years... she wants to get married and have kids some day, but realises we're not in a position to do it just yet. She is truly a good woman, probably better than i deserve :)

22. married on 2st of feb. have had the talk and have had the talk a few times since to reaffirm things lol. we definitely do not want kids yet. at some stage, yes and probably two of them (we'll see what happens after that), but for the moment, no kids :)

I'm not sure if we should get into the debate about when a life is formed... :S

sorry Han.. you're quite right. Life is life the minute cells divide and grow..that is true. But in context... what defines a life? What differentiates it from an inanimate object? ... I would think in a word 'thought', or expression, the ability to communicate, however basic.. even in animals and insects, you might say instinct, and what differentiates us from them, is premeditation. Your group of cells has none of this.. so yes, under the microscope, it is "life" in its most basic form.. a group of cells.. but it is no different from a group of bacteria... they're just cells that haven't evolved as yet into anything.

I think this is where alot of girls have trouble with it.. they prefer not to think of these things so clinically, because it means being emotionally detached and they like some mysticism, and would rather call it fate that they got pregnant, regardless of the consequences.

Life doesn't really matter, your hairs alive, insects are alive, bacteria in your stomach is alive.

It's high level consciousness that matters.

I think the problem i have with all this is there's a power imbalance. The woman has the final say in the matter, and can exploit the man if she so chooses. That's where there's a problem and something needs to change.

If i ever impregnated someone accidentally, i would never ask her to get an abortion or anything. It would be my child.

IF she manipulated me and tricked me into getting pregnant, i would do everything in my power to gain sole custody.

Thats my line of thinking as well.

I am 28.

Life doesn't really matter, your hairs alive, insects are alive, bacteria in your stomach is alive.

It's high level consciousness that matters.

I think the problem i have with all this is there's a power imbalance. The woman has the final say in the matter, and can exploit the man if she so chooses. That's where there's a problem and something needs to change.

But when you think about it... what can be done??

If a male was to request that she terminates the unborn child. That's morally no right.

But if she keeps it, it's not morally right for the male either because what guy wants to say no to paying for their child???

Really... I still think it comes down to protecting yourself as much as you can.

That's it, your screwed either way. But for sure i agree, protect yourself as much as you can. The problem is there's still those 0.1% of cases where it's not his fault.

It's a life when you can hear a heart beat.

Often, it doesn't help when you throw religion into the mix as well. <_>

It's a life when you can hear a heart beat.

Often, it doesn't help when you throw religion into the mix as well. <_>

What about cloned hearts in a dish in a lab? :P Pretty sure they can get those beating.

uve got a point, in the interest of the child, we will help pay for it for the first 18 years so they can live comfortably, then for the following 18years u can pay it all back to us. if you choose to take on the responsibility of a child, you should expect the responsibility that comes with it, by yourself, not at anyone elses expense. we shouldnt have to pay for a life decision they make.

Abortion is not an easy decision to make. If the girl is sure that she doesn't want a child, then it's a quick decision to make. However, if the girl thinks of the life in her body that she is killing, the burden of guilt will wear away at her.

There are women who will purposely get pregnant. They're married and already have kids. They want more kids, but their partner don't. So some women actually lie about contraception so that they can "accidently" fall pregnant.

TV shows that glamourise motherhood don't help either. Babies are hard work. It's been almost 5 years since I've had my first child and I'm only beginning to be able to sleep through the night. <_>

and if she deceives u to begin with?

I'm scared of needles :(

I love how that article makes it sound like trusting men is the problem.

Newsflash, the male "pill" or needle wouldn't be needed if women could be trusted. We want to minimise every chance that you will have our child without our consent and then screw us financially for the next 20 years.

I'd try it for sure. Still, 5 years before the possibility of it being available, and it will probably cost a fair bit.