Sign in to follow this  
caustic

Books

So I just finished the last book of Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy, which was really good, but now I'm looking for something else to read.

Soo... post up good books you're reading at the moment or you've read before.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...=321913&hl=

That link might help! :)

I am a third of the way into Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child, an author I am enjoying very much at the moment. I haven't found a bad book from him yet, but I haven't extended my choice past his Jack Reacher series.

Mystery, crime, army / war books are what I tend to enjoy best. I'm going to try and read a biography on Amilea Earhart at some point.

What kind of books do you enjoy?

Sounds like your into fantasy...? Any Grisham books, probably The King of Torts is my favorite. Also Andy McNab - Recoil. These are just two that have stood out, but caining through Grisham books at the moment, i think by the time i finish them i'll be a qualified paralegal. Its great when you find a good author, especially when you get public transport to work.

Thanks for the link, I couldn't remember there being a thread on books. I read from quite a few genres, I guess mostly I read sci-fi/fantasy, but anything which is fast paced enough for to not get boring is good. Lately I've been reading some crime, and

Off the top of my head these are a few authors I've enjoyed reading lately

Tom Clancy

China Mieville

Christopher Paolini

Umberto Eco

Terry Brooks

John Grisham

Angels & demons - Dan brown (good book, average movie)

Power of One - Bryce Courteney (excellent good)

Six Sacred Stones - Matthew Reilly (very good book, suspensful, awaiting part 2)

EDIT: wrong book name :S

woo hooo a book thread! I use to be a book worm, i just dont have time to go to the library and pick a book anymore.. I can read a really thick book with tiny text really really fast. If its good... Any recommendations on books about... Hmm.. Lifes lessons, biographies, love, loss? Im not into sci fi... I like books i can sort of relate to.. OR ones that are realistic to some degree?

I can get lost in borders and have a field day there anyytttimmeeeee lol

The movie is quite crap, but the book is awesome

The Bourne Identity- Robert Ludlum

I am a big Ludlum fan though, so am a bit biased.

If you like Clancy, you'd possibly like books by Fredrick Forsythe and John Le Carre

Labyrinth spy thrillers with more turns than a can of worms lol.

i have to admit, if a book doesnt have a interesting cover, the chances of me picking it up are slim at best

Seven Sacred Stones - Matthew Reilly (very good book, suspensful, awaiting part 2)

I've read just about every Matthew Reilly all great reads you obviously meant Six Sacred Stones probably confused with the number as the prequel was 7 Ancient Wonders can't wait till they finally get the movie rights together for contest

Go the classics..

Homer - the illiad

Homer - the odyssey

James joyce - Ulysses

Seven Sacred Stones - Matthew Reilly (very good book, suspensful, awaiting part 2)

I've read just about every Matthew Reilly all great reads you obviously meant Six Sacred Stones probably confused with the number as the prequel was 7 Ancient Wonders can't wait till they finally get the movie rights together for contest

aye, im wrong  :blush:

i looked at the book at my bedside table across the room, so yeah. oops :P

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...=321913&hl=

That link might help! :)

I am a third of the way into Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child, an author I am enjoying very much at the moment. I haven't found a bad book from him yet, but I haven't extended my choice past his Jack Reacher series.

Mystery, crime, army / war books are what I tend to enjoy best. I'm going to try and read a biography on Amilea Earhart at some point.

What kind of books do you enjoy?

Haha I think it was me who recommended Lee Child to you originally :).

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Jesse Kellerman and Mitch Albom also write good stuff. In fact the whole Kellerman family do crime fiction which is all great.

I don't think anyone recommended Lee Child to me. :S From memory I was looking for a new author / book to read about 3 years ago and picked up Lee Child and it sounded good on the back, so I bought it, and have been buying them since. I hate having to find a new good author, paying $20 - $30 on a book and it turns out being crap FTL. Fortunately I have been lucky! :D

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if you mentioned Lee Child, cause in that thread link I was reading The Secret. :lol:

Do you like Lee Child books as well dual?

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anything by Hunter S. Thompson or Earnest Hemingway.

Fiction:

John Gordon Davis - Talk To Me Tenderly; Tell Me Lies.

A 'romance' story set in the australian outback. Great literary style that varies according to pace of the scene and multi-layered storytelling.

Non-Fiction:

Oliver Sacks - The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat.

Highly educational on neurological disorders. Broadens the reader understanding of the human psyche and rationale for certain behaviour.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anything by Hunter S. Thompson or Earnest Hemingway.

lol, the mainstream english class at school is reading that :D

Australian Jokes, and following on from that, More Australian Jokes

They also give you a deep and enthralling insight into the human psyche.

Well if you're like me and you aren't interested in shitty murder plots and other generic material that happens in the world on a daily basis you should read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Yes that is the actual name of the series haha.. It's like Harry Potter except the ®rated version of it.

Odessa File by Fredrich Forsyth

Runner by Christopher Wreh

They are basically action/crime novels about the pursuit of Nazi war criminals. Both excellent reads. I also basically recommend any Alistair MacLean novel they are excellent.

Sword of Shannara Trilogy - Terry Brooks (takes Tolkien to another level)

The Magician (Riftwar Saga) - Raymond E Feist (Very cliche, poor boy becomes Druid but great story telling)

Tales of the Otori - Lian Hearn (Mystical Samurai-esque adventure)

reading outliers at the moment

its the goods

The Wizard of Earthsea books by Ursula K Le Guin are also very good.

The Last Wish is really good. It's fantasy but a bit different as he's a really smart character and doesn't take things on face value.

I just finished it.

a mate gave me this book he found at a garage sale rofl

"Drift X-Slide or Die" By Todd Strasser

not a big reader but if im ever bored one day ill get stuck into it

after reading the back it looks like initial D mixed with tokyo drift lol

the belagrion chronicles are a really good read... about 8? books in total..

i got stuck into the wheel of time books a cpl years ago.. but god damn, by book 10 it just drags on.. and haev nfi whats going on.. so i gave up haha

Try reading the bible.

Most popular fiction ever written.

Tales of the Otori - Lian Hearn (Mystical Samurai-esque adventure)

I've also read the prequel to this one... great read, but can't remember what the title is.

Just finished reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Really enjoyed it.

In the realm of fantasy, probably consider Mercedes Lackey, David Gemmell, David Eddings and Cecilia Dart-Thornton.

If you're into horror, Graham Masterton, Richard Laymon (sex thrown into the horror mix) and of course, can't go past Stephen King.

Lots of other authors like Eric van Lustbader (ninjas and a lot of Japanese culture), Jack White (King Arthur fantasy), Jeffrey Archer, James Patterson...

Of course, can't go past the classics like Tolkien, Austen, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Count of Monte Cristo...